1) Main site is Improve-Education.org. Articles there are scholarly in a lively way, and intended to last for years. This blog is for short newsy bits. 2) This site is pro-education, pro-teacher, and anti-Education Establishment.
First Question: Were The Firemen Taught Math In The First Place?
So Obama’s Supreme Court pick let the city of New Haven throw out the civil service test for fire chief, the problem being that no black candidates passed. Pundits want to discuss prejudice, etc. We had a parallel situation in Norfolk, Virginia; and here’s what you never heard anybody discuss, especially the local paper: these guys who didn’t pass the test, what math program did they study in school? Would it be one of those so-called Reform Math programs, with names like Connected Math, Everyday Math, MathLand? Could those wannabe fire chiefs have been taught math, or is it something genetically flawed in their heads? Maybe the people with flaws in their heads are the people running schools that don’t teach arithmetic. I keep thinking: suppose public schools found the best math programs and taught children how to do basic arithmetic, which is precisely what Reform Math does not do. I keep thinking: are we sure that none of the candidates could have been brought to the level where they passed? Wouldn’t we like to know that for sure? Why don’t local papers DEMAND better math courses??? (A related article is “The Assault on Math.”)
Fun on YouTube...I have 50+ graphic videos on YouTube. Educational and entertaining, often. Many deal with reading and educational strategies. Many have good music and need some volume. (Channel is: YouTube.com/BruceDeitrickPrice)
COMMENTS don't seem to work on this design. Here's a link to CONTACT page on Improve-Education.org
Bruce Deitrick Price
- Remain a novelist, artist, poet, and art director. But main activity is writing about education reform.. The schools, now bad due to ideology and laziness, could be easily improved. That claim is clearly explained in new book "Saving K-12--What happened to our public schools. How do we fix them?"I invite everyone to join my crusade or start your own. The worst thing is letting the Education Establishment continue its reign of incompetence.Visit Improve-Education.org. (Or Google Bruce Deitrick Price and any education topic; you'll find some interesting articles. I have 400 ed articles, videos, and book reviews on web. Please use them in your own battles.)
- ► 2013 (16)
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2010 (24)
- Expect To See This Anti-Human Message In Your Loca...
- First Question: Were The Firemen Taught Math In Th...
- Republican Party Not Inclusive Enough, Says Colin ...
- How We Lost The Literacy Battle...
- The Education Enigma <> A Lively New Book
- Ministry of Truth Reports No Records Of George Orw...
- Activist Educator Comes Out Four-Square Against Ed...
- Democrats Should Be Blamed For Dumbing Down Educat...
- Educators and President Kill D.C. Vouchers
- Stunting Our Idea Of The Possible
- Can You Answer This Scary Education Riddle???
- ▼ 05 (11)