1) Main site is Improve-Education.org. Articles there are scholarly in a lively way, and intended to last for years. This blog is for short newsy bits. 2) This site is pro-education, pro-teacher, and anti-Education Establishment.
How We Lost The Literacy Battle...
One: Public schools, in effect, worked hard at not teaching reading. They used a bogus method called Whole Word and created 50 million functional illiterates and 1 million dyslexics. Probably the non-teaching of reading was the largest factor leading to the homeschooling movement. The best introduction to the Reading Wars remains Chapter One, about 23 pages, of Why Johnny Can’t Read, published 1955 by Rudolf Flesch. For a shorter but more broadly historical introduction, please see “30: The War Against Reading.” Two: Public schools were left alone to use faulty methods because the people whose duty it is to uphold standards did not uphold much; in particular the mainstream media and elite universities went into cultural comas. J’accuse! For a quick look at what newspapers must do better in the future, see “Saving The American Newspaper (S.T.A.N.).”
Fun on YouTube...I have 50+ graphic videos on YouTube. Educational and entertaining, often. Many deal with reading and educational strategies. Many have good music and need some volume. (Channel is: YouTube.com/BruceDeitrickPrice)
COMMENTS don't seem to work on this design. Here's a link to CONTACT page on Improve-Education.org
Bruce Deitrick Price
- Remain a novelist, artist, poet, and art director. But main activity is writing about education reform.. The schools, now bad due to ideology and laziness, could be easily improved. That claim is clearly explained in new book "Saving K-12--What happened to our public schools. How do we fix them?"I invite everyone to join my crusade or start your own. The worst thing is letting the Education Establishment continue its reign of incompetence.Visit Improve-Education.org. (Or Google Bruce Deitrick Price and any education topic; you'll find some interesting articles. I have 400 ed articles, videos, and book reviews on web. Please use them in your own battles.)
- ► 2013 (16)
- ► 2012 (12)
- ► 2010 (24)
- Expect To See This Anti-Human Message In Your Loca...
- First Question: Were The Firemen Taught Math In Th...
- Republican Party Not Inclusive Enough, Says Colin ...
- How We Lost The Literacy Battle...
- The Education Enigma <> A Lively New Book
- Ministry of Truth Reports No Records Of George Orw...
- Activist Educator Comes Out Four-Square Against Ed...
- Democrats Should Be Blamed For Dumbing Down Educat...
- Educators and President Kill D.C. Vouchers
- Stunting Our Idea Of The Possible
- Can You Answer This Scary Education Riddle???
- ▼ 05 (11)